9.16.2008

Haley is Amazing

Another week has come and gone here on the Suffolk campus. I originally had registered for 5 classes this semester, but I ended up dropping a Sociology class. It's called Protest and Social Change, and I really thought it would be about well known social movements that have had a profound impact on society. I was expecting the civil rights movement and the right for women to vote, but sadly that was not what the class was about. Instead the class was about much smaller movements that I had never heard of, let alone familiar with. I felt as thought the work that was expected of us: from having to see a movie that was only being shown in one theather in Boston and having to purchase 6 books to dividing the class in half and each half read and discuss another book and write multiple papers, was a little too much for me to handle because this class isn't required for my major.


Don't get me wrong, I like challenges when I am in class. I don't mind being given a few papers to work on, having a group project and reading a book or two, but I feel that if I am going to do all this work, it should be for a class I have to take for my major, or as an elective that I am truly excited to take.


So for now, I am only taking 4 classes which is a little unfortunate because I'm afraid I might fall behind, but I could always take a summer course which isn't that bad. I have somehow ended up with about 4 extra credits from courses I have taken that were 4 credits each. In the Sawyer Business School (SBS), the classes are typically 3 credits, so any that I have taken that are 4 credits, I've ended up with an extra credit.


I am also hoping to get an extra credit or two for working in a hotel. I'm really interested in getting into Hospitality, and sadly Suffolk does not offer that major. However, I have heard that other students who have shown interest in Hospitality have taken up an internship and have gotten credits for it. I emailed a counselor in the SBS about potentially earning some credits, and I'm going to set up a meeting with him soon. I'm really lucky to be going to a small school where I have the opportunity to do an internship and get credits for something I really want to do that Suffolk doesn't offer.


I'm also really lucky to be in the Admission's Office right now because a fellow ambassador and a counselor are currently talking about what they order when they go to Wendy's and Taco Bell. Of course what they order varies depending on how hungry they are, what type of mood they're in...ha ha wow. Never a dull moment here in the office. Speaking of which, today is National Cheeseburger Day! We had a meeting today to go over information about the New England School of Art & Design (NESAD) and for lunch we had sandwiches and cheeseburgers...naturally.

If you're curious about my title,"Haley is Amazing", I was at a loss for what to title this blog, and so the wonderfully charming Haley blurted this out, so it has stuck! Anyway, I'm off to go do something fabulous with my life.

2 comments:

Haley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Haley said...

Nice blog, especially love the title! :)